Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Construction Day 1

April 15th began in the same way most April 15th's have begun for the past several years. My wife and I were in a scramble to get everything done and in for our taxes. This year however was a little different as we are in Honduras so we had no way to get an April 15th postmark. Technology is good here so we were able to scan our stuff and get it to the right place on time.
Once taxes were done we were able to head out to DAY 1 of the Oriente project. Our plan was to get the site plotted out and hopefully begin some of the footer work. Our day however ended much better than we could have imagined. We were able to get on site by a little after 9 and the initial work went much faster than we had anticipated. By the end of today we - along with our crew of about 5 neighborhood men and a couple of men here from Indiana - were able to dig about 75% of the footers. We are digging footers that are about 2 foot wide and 40 inches deep. There is a lot of rock but, it is fairly soft and we are able to utilize the pick axes to move right through it.
Today we are about 2 to 3 days ahead of our original projections. We have already ordered rock (for the footer fill) sand, and gravel so that we can be prepared to start the concrete work no later than Thursday of this week. Additionally, today we were able to visit the block plant that is close to the neighborhood. It really looks good that we will be laying block early next week - possibly as soon as Tuesday.
The whole neighborhood is really excited about what is happening. Lots of questions about the building and the project. This is exciting.
Before I close out, I wanted to let you know of a potential plan for the project that will help us conserve water. It looks like we will be working toward funneling the grey water from the showers into a storage tank so that we can re-use it in the toilets. The incremental work should fit in the original budget and the recycle of shower water will save tons of valuable water. I will keep you posted on this idea.
Well, I hope to post some pictures within a day or two. The computer that I am using isn't quite as easy to use as my laptop. Currently my laptop is in the closet drying out - my roof leaked and my laptop was in the drip zone. Hopefully it will work when I turn it on - 5 more days should do it! (I hope)
Be a blessing to somebody today!
Marc

No comments: